Here's the skirt I started a little over a month ago. I finished it up Saturday night and wore it to church Sunday. I love this fabric, I bought it at JoAnn's last year. When I was in line to get some other fabric cut, I noticed it sitting in a cart with the plastic still wrapped around the bolt, it hadn't even been put on the shelf yet. Little did I know I should have bought more. It's Farmdale Blossom in Turquoise by Alexander Henry.
I used a favorite skirt in my closet and the book, Sew What Skirts, to draft a pattern. I thought all was going well until I tried it on and it was 8+ inches too big! I guess when I was drafting my pattern, all pattern and math sense left me. I was worried about making it too tight and was a bit too generous with the pattern ease, obviously. Adding two inches onto my pattern, really meant I was adding, you got it 8 inches. I tried to fix it by adding the middle, pleat, making five pleats instead of the four I had so carefully, evenly space. I also took the sides in. I thought all was well, once again, and even though it was a little loose still, I decided to leave it alone and finish it. It then took me a few weeks to get around to the lining. Not that it really needed a full lining, but that was my plan to make finishing the top of the skirt easy. I just was a bit deflated at the sizing issue and didn't finish the lining up quickly. Well, after wearing it to church, it's still too big. A bit too big to just leave. And I don't intend on growing into it. So sometime this summer you may see my "pickiness" at it's "best". I have thoughts of unpicking it all and starting over, I guess I like the fabric that much. I would just turn it into a skirt for K* if I could find some more for myself, but that print in turquoise is hard to find now. Looking back, I should have unpicked the pleats when I first realized it was too big and not tried to just make it work. Oh well.