Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 2011 crafts

Copied the basic idea for these two wooden crafts from somethings I came across on etsy last summer. I'm really happy with how they turned out (once I finally got around to them last week). For the white blocks, I used vinyl as a stencil with blue paint for the words and glued on two rusty stars I bought on etsy. The red board lettering is white vinyl, and again rusty stars from etsy. The red board is about 12 by 7 1/2 and the white blocks are a 2 x 2 (so it's 1 1/2 x 1 1/2) cut at about 7 and 10 1/2 inches. I mixed the red paint up from two other red colors and the blue is a modified navy. I like using magnolia white paint, it's not too bright of a white, but not cream. The fonts are susie's hand, annabelle, and modern no. 20. I have some ideas for other boards too, I could just make them even though it's August tomorrow and be ready for next year, or procrastinate again.

And now, for the mess up craft....,

I used modpodge to glue a bunch of red, white and blue paint chip samples (free from lowes) onto a canvas. It was late at night, so the picture isn't great, but after getting the paint samples glued on with a few coats, I then spread dark walnut minwax stain all over and wiped it off. I was pretty happy with it. Had plans to put 'AMERICA land that I love' along one side. It's not my usual style of decor, but it's seasonal and cheap to make. Then the mistake. I wanted it to have a little bit of a shimmer, but I got the modpodge shimmer paint (metallic sahara gold) ratio wrong. I did four parts modpodge to one part shimmer paint, but it was too much shimmer, at least too much for the look I was envisioning. I guess a smart person would have tested the shimmer out on a scrap first. Oh well. I could always make another one.... Could be something fun for the kids to make something along these lines too.

Inspiration here and here.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Monkey skirt

My niece A* turned two in the beginning of July and had a monkey themed party. While at Jo-Ann's I noticed this cute monkey fabric and decided to make her an outfit. I used the PinkFig girly skirt pattern that I've made for K* a few times and bought a white tee shirt at Target to embellish. In the beginning I was going to make a monkey applique, but I was nervous about it not turning out, so I went with something simple.
Which reminds me, I still need to make a flamingo applique for K* to go with her pink skirt......

Parade Banner 2011

J* helped me make & adhere lettering for two parade banners our stake used on a float in the Kingwood Fourth of July parade this year. It took about 6 1//2 hours to do two of them, so glad I had help. We used the Printing 101 cricut cartridge & black vinyl. I really like the font, I've never used that one before.