Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Happy Weekender Quilt in Happy Tones

 
The Happy Weekender quilt pattern from Moda Bake Shop in Happy Tones by Michael Miller Fabrics.
Front: Happy Tones charm packs.
Backing: Happy Tones Spotlight.
Binding: Happy Tones Aqua Cora print.
Gray fabric form Jo Ann's.  I bought 1 3/4 yards after reading in the comments that some people who made the happy weekender didn't have enough with the 1 1/2 yards in the instructions.  I made the strips as I went along and wish I would have bought 2 yards, but am glad I at least had 1 3/4 yards.  It all worked out in the end by piecing some pieces together.
 
I made this quilt for my SS who graduated from high school this year. I am so happy with how it turned out; love the fun, bright colors and it was a nice chance to try gray instead of white for the solid. I kind of wanted to keep it for myself.
 
 
 
My two little munchkins held it up for pictures for me; gotta put them to work while school's out.
 
I attached a label for the first time ever to a quilt.  I hope the micron pigma pen works out. I like the idea of having it in the corner.  I searched on line for ideas on quilt labels and this was my favorite look.  I did heat set it with the iron and washed it two days after writing the label.

 
I also did some "real" free-motion quilting for the first time on this quilt.  Previously, I have just sewn straight lines {or a zig zag stitch in straight lines} on my quilts & table runners.  I have a sweet friend who offered to let me use her quilting machine and frame to do it.  I am happy with how the loopy loops turned out.  I may try it again later this year, it was kind of fun.
 

No comments: